We took our first road trip in Nick—driving to Martinez for a bit of business1. We then decided to head up to Vacaville for lunch. We wanted to visit the Vacaville supercharger station. We really didn’t need to charge, but the whole idea was to try it out.
This was our first supercharger experience.
It’s free. It’s blazing fast. You can see the miles start going up very quickly! I was rather surprised.
You have to back into the charging parking space because the thick2 electric “cord” is short—which is just as well because the cable would be really heavy if it were the length of the car. Additionally, I’m sure someone would leave it on the ground. Though rarely, it does rain.
The station had 8 charging bays. When we arrived, only one car was charging. When we left, 2 other cars were charging. You could absolutely charge to 90%3 from just a few miles range in 30 minutes.
We had lunch at Tahoe Joe’s Famous Steakhouse4, which is there in the strip shopping plaza, while Nick charged. About half way through the meal, I remembered that it was hotter than hell this far inland. So, I turned on the AC in the car using the Tesla app on my iPhone. Running the HVAC system while the car is plugged in uses the electricity from the supercharger to cool the car, not the car battery.
While we ate, the car’s interior temperature went from 84º to 68º.5 Ahhhh! Much better.
Our first road trip was a blast.[hr]
An Aside: Between both electric cars, we have now driven over 15,000 miles on sunshine (and, now, a supercharger)!
- Tesla Will Open Its Supercharger Patents To Promote EVs (gas2.org)
- Elon Musk’s Electric Car Company Did A Powerful Thing: The ‘Supercharger Corridor’ (TSLA) (businessinsider.com)
- Tesla Superchargers Now Allow San Diego-To-Vancouver Electric Car Trips (greencarreports.com)
- Tesla Cuts the Ribbon on its 100th Supercharger Station (inhabitat.com)
- Tesla Model S Ranks Best Overall Car for 2014 by Consumer Reports, among 260 autos tested ~ Not only did Tesla Rank #1 Tesla scored the Highest Score ever Achieved in the Magazine’s 18 years of testing Cars ~ Plus What’s Not to Like about Driving for 3¢/m (fau4u2.wordpress.com)
- Tesla Motors Inc Wins Yet Another Award (valuewalk.com)