Upgrading to 10.7
I upgraded my computers to OS 10.7 (Lion) after moving into the temporary apartment. Everything went smoothing on my main laptop, but my Mac Pro has given me fits. Over the course of a couple of weeks, containing 5 or 6 phone calls, lasting a minimum of 3 hours each, I’ve worked with top level Apple support to find out why many web pages in Safari would cause the webkit to fail and not load the web page at all, including http://www.icloud.com–an Apple website. So Apple’s OS on Apple’s top end hardware running Apple’s browser loading one of Apple’s own websites will not work.
We all but disassembled the OS and software on the machine, which created some of its own issues. Nothing we did corrected the problem. Adam, the tech guru who assisted me, monitored my screen to see what the issues were. I give Adam an A+ 5 star rating for tenacity: I called him once. He called me back about a half dozen times! I sent in crash logs and system reports to senior level engineers. Finally, an answer–but, regrettably, no solution. Yet.
The ultra expensive NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 video card in my computer is currently incompatible with 10.7. [Great!]
I wasn’t really sure that could be the case, but today I attached my Apple Cinema Display to the far less expensive video card that resides in slot 2 of my Mac Pro, and poof: it all works just fine! Amazing!
I was told I can expect the issue to be resolved in a future OS update: 10.7.3 or 10.7.4.
This is just another one of those technical issues that would never be solved if I were not a Mac user. Because Apple owns the entire widget, they take ownership of problem resolution!
My panorama software, PTGui, is totally awesome. It even creates the web files needed to upload the panos I create. It also lets me create a template file that it then uses to create the look and feel of my blog on the pano html page it generates.
The problem: for some reason the web page would only show the pano at about 20% of it’s real height on the screen–very odd looking. Nothing I did fixed the problem. I’ve invested hours and hours and hours over the past few months trying to correct this problem, all to no avail. I couldn’t isolate the part of the code that was creating the issue.
Today I found it! And ah, such a small little thing, really.
I tried to thoroughly comment my template; so, when I look at it 6 months from now, I’ll remember everything each section of the code does and why I wrote it the way I did. In cascading style sheets (css), you write comments differently than you write comments in hypertext markup language (html). I knew this, in that I had seen the difference, but it had never “officially” registered in my brain.
In html you write: <!– Place your comment here. –> .
But in css you write: /* Place your comment here. */ .
I have no idea why this odd little quirk exists, but it is what it is. I had written a comment in the css portion of the code in the html format.
This simple goof in syntax caused the problem!
Now the world is all back in balance again!
Tim is happy!